Tails dam burst at Cadia lowers NCM production guidance for FY18
- NCM reported a breakthrough of tailings material from the Cadia northern tailings dam embankment. While no environmental or safety breaches have yet been recorded, NCM wisely ceased operations at Cadia to allow for a geotechnical assessment of the incident and to prepare a remediation plan.
- Cadia Mine was shut down for an extended period last year after a magnitude 4.3 earthquake affected stability in its underground operations. Geoscience Australia recorded two earthquakes occurring south of Cadia on Thursday 8th March at a depth of 10km and at a magnitude of 2.7. It is possible that the wall failed as a result of those shocks.
- The embankment in the northern tails dam gave way into the southern tailings dam down slope. Both northern and southern dams are active and hence NCM progressively ceased operations over the 9th and 10th March.
- Cadia has a major impact on the earnings of NCM, being one of its largest operations, but importantly, its lowest cost operation. NCM has stated that its production guidance for FY18 will be affected by the tailings breakthrough but, at this stage, is unable to quantify that impact.
- In FY17 Cadia produced 600,000 ounces of gold from the processing of 22 million tonnes of ore. At the end of 2017 combined resources and reserves stood at 3 billion tonnes at 0.37g/t gold, 0.26% copper and 0.68g/t silver, containing 35Mozs of gold and 7.7Mt of copper metal.
Likely next steps
- NCM are now likely to assess the current failure and determine whether there is any likelihood of additional failure to the dam wall. A remediation strategy is likely to involve earthworks to repair the immediately affected area but also potentially the surrounding areas of the wall. Alternative sites for tailings disposal are being considered by NCM, including in-pit tails storage.
- In our view, future earthquakes could result in similar damage. NCM are also likely to review the dam wall in the southern dam as a failure of this structure would have potential for major, long-term affects to the operation at Cadia. NCM will need to satisfy the regulatory authorities that both dam walls can withstand future shocks. This may require additional earthworks / reinforcement across both dam walls.
Effect on cashflow
- Based on the last available information, Cadia produced 300,000 ounces for 1HFY18 at an AISC of US$135/oz after credits. We estimate that cessation of the Cadia operation will cost NCM approximately US$1.9m per day in lost operating cashflow plus the costs of remediation work. It will reduce gold production by approximately 1,650 ozs per day.
- We take the view that remediation work on the dam wall could take some time. Possibly a matter of weeks rather than days to complete. We estimate that the failed section is approximately 200m wide.
- NCM may be able to continue some operations if the company gets approval from the regulatory authorities but it is too early to tell at this stage if this would be possible.
Disclosure and Disclaimer
This Research report, accurately expresses the personal view of the Author.
DJ Carmichael Pty Limited, members of the Research Team; including authors of this report, its directors and employees advise that they may hold securities, may have an interest in and/or earn brokerage and other benefits or advantages, either directly or indirectly from client transactions in stocks mentioned in this report.
The Author of this Research Report did not make contact with Newcrest Mining Ltd for assistance with verification of facts, admittance to business sites, access to industry/company information. No inducements have been offered or accepted by the company.
DJ Carmichael Pty Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of DJ Carmichael Group Pty Ltd ACN 114 921 247. In accordance with Section 949A of the Corporations Act 2001 DJ Carmichael Pty Limited advises this email contains general financial advice only. In preparing this document DJ Carmichael Pty Limited did not take into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs (‘financial circumstances’) of any particular person. Accordingly, before acting on any advice contained in this document, you should assess whether the advice is appropriate in light of your own financial circumstances or contact your DJ Carmichael Pty Limited adviser. DJ Carmichael Pty Limited, its Directors employees and advisers may earn brokerage or commission from any transactions undertaken on your behalf as a result of acting upon this information. DJ Carmichael Pty Limited believes that the advice herein is accurate. However, no warranty of accuracy or reliability is given in relation to any advice or information contained in this publication and no responsibility for any loss or damage whatsoever arising in any way for any representation, act or omission, whether express or implied (including responsibility to any persons by reason of negligence), is accepted by DJ Carmichael Pty Limited or any officer, agent or employee of DJ Carmichael Pty Limited. This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited.
The recommendation made in this report is valid for four weeks from the stated date of issue. If in the event another report has been constructed and released on the company which is the subject of this report, the new recommendation supersedes this and therefore the recommendation in this report will become null and void.
SPECULATIVE BUY – Potential 10% or more outperformance, high risk
BUY – Potential 10% or more outperformance
HOLD – Potential 10% underperformance to 10% over performance
SELL – Potential 10% or more underperformance
Period: During the forthcoming 12 months, at any time during that period and not necessarily just at the end of those 12 months.
Stocks included in this report have their expected performance measured relative to the ASX All Ordinaries Index. DJ Carmichael Pty Limited’s recommendation is made on the basis of absolute performance. Recommendations are adjusted accordingly as and when the index changes.
To elect not to receive any further direct marketing communications from us, please reply to this email and type 'opt out ' in the subject line. Please allow two weeks for request to be processed.
© 2018 No part of this report may be reproduced or distributed in any manner without permission of DJ Carmichael Pty Limited.