Kirkland, nuggets and 1.2 million ounces
DEG has announced a string of updates over the last few weeks. Importantly, Kirkland Lake Gold Ltd, the mid-tier Canadian-listed gold producer has taken a 10% stake in DEG for $5m, with an option to take another 10% through exercise of 33.3m options at 20c. Secondly, DEG has announced the discovery of nuggets at the base of a slope with outcropping conglomerate below an exposure of Mt Roe Basalt. This is the exact horizon that Novo/Artemis have been deriving their nuggets from, with Novo suggesting that this horizon is the key to the discovery of the “Witwatersrand-style” gold occurrences in the Pilbara. Thirdly, DEG has announced an increase in gold resources of 21% to take the combined gold resource to 1.2 million ounces over the Pilbara Gold Project.
- Kirkland Lake investments in DEG: DEG has announced a $5m equity investment from Kirkland Lake Gold Ltd (“Kirkland”). Kirkland is the largest shareholder in Novo Resources Inc. Novo has made a large ‘land-grab’ in the Pilbara and entered into several JV’s with existing Australian junior exploration companies, for example, Artemis (ASX:ARV), that have potential for Witwatersrand-style mineralisation. Kirkland aim to produce ~ 580,000 ounces of gold in 2017 from its 4 existing mines and has $337m in cash.
- DEG discovers nuggets shed from conglomerate: DEG has discovered gold nuggets that appear to be shed from a conglomerate sitting at the base of an exposure of Mt Roe Basalt. The discovery at Loudens Patch is on a tenement in the Indee Gold Project, currently under a Binding Heads of Agreement, which now places the prospect along-side Purdy’s Reward, Comet Well and Beaton’s Creek, in recognition of this style of mineralisation. DEG had also previously announced a 12km strike of Mt Roe Basalt contact to the east of Loudens Patch that infers DEG may have a relatively large expanse of conglomerate beneath the basalts.
- DEG increase resource base by 21%: DEG has also announced an increase in resources of 207,000 ounces to take the overall resource base to 1.2 million ounces over the combined tenements of the Pilbara Gold Project. We estimate that the additional ounces may have provided for a life-of-mine extension of one year over the existing scoping study, with the potential to provide high grade early in the mining schedule to improve the NPV and cashflow.
- Acquisition cost per ounce now 20% lower than average: The additional ounces has driven the acquisition cost per ounce from $43.50 at the time of the announcement to just $20.10 per ounce currently. This is 20% lower than the average price paid per ounce for M&A transactions on the ASX over the last 18 months. DEG has also renegotiated terms for the acquisition.
- Recommendation: We had a speculative buy recommendation on DEG prior to the discovery of the Witwatersrand-style mineralisation and equity injection from Kirkland. The 1.2 million ounce resource base justifies a value of $59m at the average EV/resource oz for DEG’s peer group of $49/oz, minus the purchase price for the Indee tenements. This equates to $0.15 per share on a diluted basis after the shares are issued to Kirkland. At this point it is not possible to attribute a fundamental value to the discovery of Witwatersrand-style mineralisation other than to say it could be significant. We therefore place our recommendation and valuation under review.
This Research report, accurately expresses the personal view of the Author.
DJ Carmichael Pty Limited, members of the Research Team; including authors of this report, its directors and employees advise that they may hold securities, may have an interest in and/or earn brokerage and other benefits or advantages, either directly or indirectly from client transactions in stocks mentioned in this report. DJ Carmichael Pty Limited acted as Lead Manager in two capital raisings for De Grey Mining Limited and was paid a fee for that service. DJ Carmichael Pty Limited holds 3,024,500 shares as principal in De Grey Mining Limited, equivalent to 1. 5% of the issued capital. DJ Carmichael Pty Limited’s Managing Director, Davide Bosio, is also a Non-Executive Director of De Grey Mining Limited. DJ Carmichael Pty Limited and or its advisers hold an interest of 12,500,000 unlisted options in De Grey Mining Limited.
DJ Carmichael Pty Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of DJ Carmichael Group Pty Ltd ACN 114 921 247.
In accordance with Section 949A of the Corporations Act 2001 D J Carmichael Pty Limited advises that this email contains general financial advice only. In preparing this document D J Carmichael Pty Limited did not take into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs (‘financial circumstances’) of any particular person. Accordingly, before acting on any advice contained in this document, you should assess whether the advice is appropriate in light of your own financial circumstances or contact your D J Carmichael Pty Limited adviser. D J Carmichael Pty Limited, its Directors employees and advisers may earn brokerage or commission from any transactions undertaken on your behalf as a result of acting upon this information. D J Carmichael Pty Limited, its directors and employees advise that they may hold securities, may have an interest in and/or earn brokerage and other benefits or advantages, either directly or indirectly, from client transactions. D J Carmichael Pty Limited believes that the advice herein is accurate however no warranty of accuracy or reliability is given in relation to any advice or information contained in this publication and no responsibility for any loss or damage whatsoever arising in any way for any representation, act or omission, whether express or implied (including responsibility to any persons by reason of negligence), is accepted by DJ Carmichael Pty Limited or any officer, agent or employee of D J Carmichael Pty Limited. This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited.
The Author of this report made contact with the De Grey Mining Limited for assistance with verification of facts, admittance to business sites, access to industry/company information. No inducements have been offered or accepted by the company.
The recommendation made in this report is valid for four weeks from the stated date of issue. If in the event another report has been constructed and released on De Grey Mining Limited, the new recommendation supersedes this and therefore the recommendation in this report will become null and void.
SPECULATIVE BUY – Potential 10% or more outperformance, high risk
BUY – Potential 10% or more outperformance
HOLD – Potential 10% underperformance to 10% over performance
SELL – Potential 10% or more underperformance
Period: During the forthcoming 12 months, at any time during that period and not necessarily just at the end of those 12 months.
Stocks included in this report have their expected performance measured relative to the ASX All Ordinaries index. DJ Carmichael Pty Limited’s recommendation is made on the basis of absolute performance. Recommendations are adjusted accordingly as and when the index changes.
To elect not to receive any further direct marketing communications from us, please reply to this email and type 'opt out ' in the subject line. Please allow two weeks for request to be processed.
© 2017 No part of this report may be reproduced or distributed in any manner without permission of DJ Carmichael Pty Limited.